Celebrating in 5 star luxury and other lessons

To celebrate my husband’s birthday we had a night away at Culloden Hotel, Cultra without the kids. My husband has caught up my age ….. well for 3 months of the year anyway…. when he is as old as I am!

Lessons learned this week:

1. Upgrades! When booking hotel I happened to mention that we were celebrating my husband’s birthday, that we had our wedding reception there, and that it would soon be our 18th wedding anniversary – was not sure if it would make a difference, and the hotel is gorgeous anyway…….. but we were delighted to be upgraded to a Junior Suite.

The Hotel

The stairs

Our suite

More of our suite

Our bathroom (note the window – I LOVE daylight in a hotel bathroom and it is a rareity to find it!)

The beautiful grounds and the view (which we had from all the windows in our suite!)

2. Parents are wonderful – thanks to mine, we were able to go away for the night and my parents came for a “sleepover” with my kids.

3. Just one night away  can seem like a long relaxing break. As well as enjoying the hotel we went for several walks along the lough shore, had a drive down the Ards Penninsula and stopped off in Hollywood for the May Day Celebrations (but missed the may-pole dancing!. Walking around the grounds reminded us of our wedding and the photos taken at the hotel – you can see some in the Wedding Memories post.

Ok – a few more photos of the hotel, since you insist!

4. Nominated again – for “Awesome Photography Blog”!! at I Am Mommy Awesome Blog Awards :)

If you want to (no pressure, I will still be your friend) could you visit I Am Mommy and vote for me in the photography category – it is the first section in that post.  No intention of winning, just don’t want to have no votes at all!

Over to you – what have you learned this week?

To share in some other bloggers lessons visit Julie from Inmates to Playdates.

25 comments on Celebrating in 5 star luxury and other lessons

1. jen@odbt
    04/05/2010 at 4:55 pm (4 years ago)

What a fun getaway! It never hurts to ask and look at the results – awesome suite. That bathroom is gorgeous.

2. elizabeth
    04/05/2010 at 5:32 pm (4 years ago)

OH MY!!!! what a beautiful hotel – hope your hubby had a wonderful birthday -

I will vote for you – your photos’ are amazing -
    see you in 2 weeks!!! Yippee

04/05/2010 at 6:26 pm (4 years ago)

WOO – JM, what an AMAZING place. I feel priveledged just to visit WITH you haha.

What a beautiful memory for you and your husband, I’m sure when you look back to your first year’s anniversary you might never imagine you would be celebrating like this!

And, as nice as it is, YOUR new bathroom is every bit as nice as theirs, I say! *wink*

Going over to vote!

Love,
    Barb

4. grammy
    04/05/2010 at 7:58 pm (4 years ago)

What a beautiful place to stay
    I did go vote for you (o:

5. Jenn Calling Home
    04/05/2010 at 8:04 pm (4 years ago)

Looks dreamy. How special that you can revisit your wedding day memories with a stay at this lovely hotel. Congrats on your nominations. I finally submitted something for the WILTW carnival (about time I did something!). Blessings!

6. Julie From Inmates
    05/05/2010 at 3:39 am (4 years ago)

Wow. I’m in awe of that bathroom. Beautiful! Oh, and jealous. =0)

7. Creative Junkie
    05/05/2010 at 4:04 am (4 years ago)

Happy birthday to the hubster! And, I just voted for you! :)

Now, JM, we’re going to have to set some ground rules. You are no longer allowed to blog from gorgeous hotels or vacation spots or, basically, anywhere that I wish I could be. So I guess Ireland is off limits too. Can you blog if you’re homeless?

8. Leanne
    05/05/2010 at 6:10 am (4 years ago)

Voted:)

Happy Birthday to the Husband!!! I hope you had a lovely time. The Culloden is beautiful and ugrades make it even better. If you don’t ask you don’t get, that’s my motto:)

9. girlie
    05/05/2010 at 8:30 pm (4 years ago)

wow!! i have to admit i am envious of your get-away!! i hope to have that someday…just me and my husband..hehehe. you have such amazing shots of the hotel! (it looks more of a castle to me!) you deserve to be nominated for the ‘photography thing’. i will definitely vote after this post. thanks for sharing!!

10. girlie
    05/05/2010 at 8:31 pm (4 years ago)

sorry janmary…they are no longer accepting any submissions… huhuhu. i was a bit too late. but be assured i am a big fan!!

11. Lauren
    06/05/2010 at 1:22 am (4 years ago)

I LOVE the photo with the lamp in the window. That is my favorite. Very beautiful place. :)

12. Hairline Fracture
    06/05/2010 at 11:24 pm (4 years ago)

That is an absolutely beautiful hotel. And how nice that you got the upgrade. You’re right, a night away can make a huge difference.

13. Kristin
    08/05/2010 at 6:36 am (4 years ago)

Those are some absolutely gorgeous pictures!!
    :-)

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

14. Sian
    08/05/2010 at 6:53 am (4 years ago)

What a gorgeous hotel! And how lovely you had your wedding reception there too.

Stopping by from SITS to say hi! Have a great weekend.

15. dianeswords.wordpress.com
    08/05/2010 at 2:14 pm (4 years ago)

what a beautiful spot for a getaway. i’m glad the hotel picked up your vibe and gave you and upgrade. i’m sure you’ll go again sometime in your future. happy saturday Sharefest!
    drop by my blog if you get a chance. i love visitors and comments. dianeswords.wordpress.com

16. Kissy Lovestuff
    08/05/2010 at 6:36 pm (4 years ago)

Spectacular!
    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest :-)

17. Run DMT
    08/05/2010 at 6:37 pm (4 years ago)

Visiting here from SITS! Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Your little getaway looked absolutely beautiful. so jealous. ;-)

I voted for you! :-)

18. JDaniel4's Mom
    08/05/2010 at 7:56 pm (4 years ago)

You are right! It pays to mention special days you are celebrating. We have had the same experience. Stopping from SITS!

19. Erin Wallace
    10/05/2010 at 12:30 am (4 years ago)

What a gorgeous holiday! I dream of staying at a hotel like this – you don’t get to stay in country estates in the US! Beautiful photos as well. Happy SITS Saturday!

20. bentonflocke
    13/05/2010 at 2:56 pm (4 years ago)

really fantastic place for celebrating and relaxing!